Frank is a Partner in the Financial Institutions and Capital Markets practice group with over 11 years of legal experience. He has been involved in many key corporate finance transactions, debt and equity capital markets transactions, mergers and acquisitions, as well as banking, insurance and securities regulatory matters in the Ghanaian market. Frank’s clients include Oasis Africa VC Fund, Ghana Amalgamated Trust Plc, ESLA Plc, Scancom Plc and Caterpillar Financial Services.
He holds a B.A and an LLB from the University of Ghana and a qualifying certificate from the Ghana School of Law. He is a member of the Ghana Bar Association.
"Frank Akowuah, in-depth knowledge of the Ghanaian capital markets. Strong communication skills. Strong commercial skills. Strong execution capabilities and turnaround time on documents." - The Legal 500, 2022
"Very knowledgeable in corporate and capital markets law, patient, innovative and solution-oriented, and responsive." - Chambers Global, 2022
Rankings and Awards
Market leader, Banking & Project Finance - IFLR 1000, 2022
Recommended in Banking & Finance - The Legal 500, 2022
Recommended in Capital Markets - The Legal 500, 2022
Band 3, Corporate and Commercial – Chambers Global, 2022
- Advised Daakye Trust Plc on the establishment of a tax receivables backed bond issuance programme to fund construction of critical infrastructure at all levels of education in Ghana.
- Advised Ghana Amalgamated Trust Plc on its equity investments in 5 banks which could not meet the Bank of Ghana’s new minimum capital requirements and to provide. supervisory oversight to these indigenous banks to enable them become viable and competitive.
- Advised Scancom Plc (MTN Ghana) on its GHS 3.4 billion initial public offer and listing of shares on the Ghana Stock Exchange.
- Advising Caterpillar Financial Services on its asset finance transactions in Ghana.
- Advised GCB Securities Limited/Securities and Exchange Commission on a government bailout programme to settle clients of defunct fund management companies whose licences were revoked by the Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Advised Oasis Africa VC Fund Limited (Oasis Africa) on the establishment of a private equity fund and the onboarding of investors including the International Finance Corporation, PROPARCO, European Investment Bank and Norwegian Investment Fund for Developing Countries.
- Co-authored the Ghana chapter of Practical Law’s 2015 “Debt Capital Markets in Ghana: Regulatory Overview”, a Q&A guide to the debt capital markets regime in Ghana.
- Co-authored the Ghana chapter of Practical Law’s 2015 “Equity Capital Markets in Ghana: Regulatory Overview”, a Q&A guide to the equity capital markets regime in Ghana.
- Co-authored the Ghana chapter of the “International Comparative Legal Guide (ICLG) to Private Equity 2015”, a Q&A guide to the private equity legal regime in Ghana.
- Co-authored the Ghana chapters of “ICLG Corporate Tax 2015”, “ICLG Corporate Tax 2014” and “ICLG Corporate Tax 2013”, a Q&A guide to corporate income, and other tax, regime in Ghana.
- Co-authored the Ghana chapter of “LexisNexis Mergers & Acquisitions Law Guide 2015”, a Q&A guide to mergers and acquisitions law in Ghana.
- Co-authored the Ghana chapters of Practical Law’s 2014, 2013 and 2012 “Public Mergers and Acquisitions in Ghana: Overview”, a Q&A guide to public mergers and acquisitions law in Ghana.
- Co-authored the Ghana chapter of “Getting The Deal Through: Telecoms and Media Review 2012”, a Q&A guide to the telecommunication and media legal regime in Ghana.
- Co-authored the Ghana chapter of “Getting The Deal Through: Foreign Investment Review2012”, a Q&A guide to the foreign investment legal regime in Ghana.
- Authored “Juju and the Law: The Trial of Kombian’s Jujumen” published in The GSL (the official Newsletter of the SRC of Ghana School of Law  Vol. 1 No. 1, pages 9-11).