Susan-Barbara is a Partner and Head of the Corporate Commercial practice group of the firm. She is a dual qualified lawyer in Ghana and New York State and has over 22 years’ experience in legal practice. She has extensive experience in corporate and commercial transactions. She has worked on several high value corporate transactions for both international and Ghanaian corporations. Her expertise covers telecommunications, media and technology. She has the requisite in-depth expertise and experience to structure, negotiate and advise a wide range of clients, multinational corporations and individuals on high level transactions.
Her clients include Scancom PLC, Vodafone, ATC Tower (Ghana) LTD, Samsung Electronics SA, Cargill Trade and Capital Markets and DigitalGov LTD.
Susan-Barbara holds an LLB from the University of Ghana, a Master of Laws from the Northwestern University School of Law and an MBA in Finance and Information Management from the Illinois Institute of Technology Stuart School of Business. She is a member of the Ghana Bar Association, the New York State Bar Association and the American Bar Association.
"Susan-Barbara Kumapley is the head of the firm's TMT practice in Accra. She assists telecommunications and software companies with drafting and negotiating agreements".- Chambers Global, 2022
"She pays attention to detail and is very good." - The Legal 500, 2022
Rankings and Awards
Band 2 in Commercial/ Corporate - Chambers Global, 2022
Recommended in Corporate, Commercial and M&A - The Legal 500, 2022
- Assisted a client with the review and negotiation of the term sheet, facility agreement and security agreement for a syndicated GHS 510 million loan facility.
- Assisted a client with the review and negotiation of the term sheets, the facility and security agreements, and the share subscription and shareholders’ agreements for its financing of and investment in a fibre infrastructure services company.
- Assisted a software company with reviewing/redrafting and negotiating the terms of a software agreement with the Ghana Cocoa Board for the development of an integrated cocoa management software for, among others, registering cocoa farmers and a platform for cocoa beans and cocoa inputs.
- Assisted 3 fintech companies with the preparation and negotiation of a payment platform services agreement for the collection of government revenue.
- Assisted a client with the negotiation of the contract with the Electoral Commission of Ghana for the biometric voter registration and management system.
- Assisted the transaction advisor for the design-build-finance-operate and maintenance of the biometric passport system in Ghana with the review/redraft and negotiation of a public private partnership contract.
Co-contributor to Data Protection in Ghana: Overview (A Q&A guide to data protection in Ghana.) for Thomson Reuters Practical Law in December 2019.
Co-contributor to “Interconnect Clearinghouse: The risks of telecommunications monopoly” Graphic Online.
An oped to the B&FT on the Kente debate in June 2012.
Co-contributor to an article on Patent protection in Ghana published in the Ghana Business & Finance Magazine in May 2017.
Co-contributor to 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 Ghana Chapter – Getting the Deal Through, Telecoms & Media published by Law Business Research in the United Kingdom.
Contributor for Ghana summary for the International Privacy Law Chapter in Proskauer on Privacy: A Guide to Privacy and Data Security Law In the Information Age (Second Edition) published by the Practising Law Institute.